Tyre Safety Month – Top Tips
- Ideally, tyre tread depth should be checked at least once a month at the same time that you check your tyre pressure.
- If you do not have a calibrated tread depth gauge a 20p coin provides a useful guide.
- Insert the 20p coin into the main tyre grooves at several places around the circumference of the tyre and across its width.
- If the outer band of the 20p coin is visible whenever you check the tread, your tread depth may be illegal and you should have them checked by a qualified tyre specialist.
- When checking your tread depth, give the rest of the tyres a visual inspection for any cuts or bulges and remove and stones or objects embedded in the tread.