Stay safe this winter with TyreSafe’s ‘Magnificent 7’
To help motorists stay safe and legal when driving this winter, TyreSafe has compiled its ‘Magnificent 7’ list of tyre safety tips.
While fitting winter tyres is one way to ensure greater driving safety when the temperature drops below 7 degrees Celsius, the other six pieces of winter advice needn’t cost a penny, although a 20p coin will certainly be useful!
Stuart Jackson, chairman, TyreSafe, explained: “This October’s Tyre Safety Month concentrates getting drivers ready for winter. While fitting winter weather tyres is an obvious and sensible option, there are plenty of other aspects of tyre maintenance that all drivers should be doing, regardless of whether they make the switch to winter rubber or not.
“Our ‘Magnificent 7’ has been compiled by industry experts who know what they’re talking about. If drivers follow our advice then they’ve got a much better chance of staying safe on the roads this winter.”
The advice from TyreSafe comes just days after the Department for Transport issued its latest road casualty report which showed that in 2010, there were more than 1,200 road casualties in the UK from tyre related accidents, emphasising the need for better tyre care.
TyreSafe’s tips include checking for adequate tread depth by taking the 20p test, ensuring tyres are properly inflated and inspecting the conditions of tyres by looking for any lumps, bulges and cracks. They also cover the spare tyre, removal or jacking of wheels on any vehicles that are not used in the winter months. For anyone confused by these or any other aspect of tyre safety, TyreSafe’s final piece of advice is to visit one of the many tyre dealers and garages who are offering free tyre safety checks as part of October’s tyre safety month.
“Seven is seen as a lucky number by many, but luck plays no part when it comes to tyre safety. Regular checks and maintenance are vital. However, if you’re at all unsure about any aspect regarding tyre safety, don’t leave it to chance. Call into your nearest dealer and get them checked out by an expert,” concludes Jackson.
TyreSafe’s ‘Magnificent 7’ tyre safety tips
- Make sure your tyres have adequate tread depth to keep you safe and legal by taking the 20p test
- Ensure your tyres are properly inflated and checked at least once a month and before any long journeys
- Check the condition of your tyres by looking for any lumps, bulges or cracks and remove any objects embedded in the tread
- When checking the tread, pressures and condition, don’t forget the spare
- Consider fitting winter weather tyres for the whole winter period. At temperatures below 7 degrees C they provide much better safety and grip
- Remove wheels or jack the weight off any vehicles’ tyres that will not be used over the winter months such as caravans, horseboxes or motorcycles
- Visit your nearest participating tyre dealer for a free tyre safety check