Without the experience of seasoned motorists, young drivers are more at risk on the roads. However, they can increase their safety by carrying out regular tyre safety checks
Young Drivers and tyre safety
TyreSafe and Ingenie carried out a survey of 1,000 young drivers, which highlighted a concerning lack of knowledge of tyre safety and legislation.
- 1 in 3 had never checked their tyres’ tread depth
- 1 in 4 had never checked their tyres’ pressure
- 85% thought the penalties for driving with a defective tyre were lower than they actually are
- 62% thought the legal limit for tread depth was lower than it is
- 57% did not know the driver is held responsible for the condition of the vehicle’s tyres when stopped by the Police
Failure to ensure your tyres meet the minimum legal standards means that you could face a fine of up to £2,500 and 3 penalty points – for each illegal tyre! What’s more, poorly maintained tyres reduce your safety on the road, placing yourself, your passengers and other road users at a greater risk of being involved in an accident. However, checking that your tyres are roadworthy is incredibly simple and only needs to take a few minutes every month. But don’t just take our word for, here’s what BBC Outnumbered actor Tyger Drew-Honey found out when we took him to a test track to learn more about tyre care and maintenance. You can also find out more about young drivers and tyre care with this infographic from young driver insurer, ingenie.