Key messagesWhile the need to carry out regular tyre checks may seem obvious an alarming number of Britain’s motorists are replacing their tyres only when they have already become illegal and dangerous. If they carried out tyre checks, this avoidable safety issue could be rectified.
- A shocking 35% of tyres are being driven at least 8psi below the vehicle manufacturers’ recommendation.
- Air Pressure has a decisive influence on the way your vehicle accelerates, brakes and corners
- Safe tyres with the correct air pressure can reduce the risks to you, your passengers and all road users
Facts & figures
- 3% more fuel used when pressure is 6 psi below recommended inflation
- For every 10% a tyre is under-inflated. Its wear can increase by 10%
- £600 million wasted yearly on fuel costs by British motorists driving with under-inflated tyres
- 56.8% of car tyres in the UK are at least 4 psi below recommended pressures